Illinois REDCap Certificate Series
The Illinois REDCap Certificate Series provides a comprehensive and in-depth exploration of REDCap and how it can be used on campus. The four-week series is ideal for program coordinators, research lab managers, and advanced graduate students, although all interested parties are welcome to apply.
This series will equip participants with the knowledge and skills they need to design, build, and manage advanced data collection projects in Illinois REDCap. In addition to learning how to build and manage projects, participants will explore the variety of ways they can use REDCap, the regulatory considerations that REDCap can address and the Illinois REDCap features that can make data collection easier.
The application period for the spring series has now ended. Subscribe to the IHSI e-newsletter for announcements about the fall series and application period.
To make sure all participants get the most from this series, the REDCap team seeks applicants with the following qualifications:
- Applicants have active REDCap accounts prior to the application deadline.
- Applicants commit to attending all four sessions.
- Applicants represent various units/research teams across campus. Users from diverse disciplinary backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Classes are delivered weekly over Zoom for four weeks from 9 a.m. – noon with a short break mid-morning. Participants will be expected to complete short assessments (less than 30 minutes) after each class to demonstrate their understanding of the material. Questions? Contact the Illinois REDCap team.
By the end of the course, attendees will learn to do the following:
- Identify appropriate use cases for Illinois REDCap
- Summarize regulatory considerations that REDCap can help with (e.g. HIPAA, GDPR)
- Design and build advanced data collection projects in REDCap
- Select the appropriate REDCap features to maximize the efficiency of their REDCap project
- Use REDCap features to satisfy the “minimum necessary” standard of HIPAA
- Recall available resources for troubleshooting problems or learning new features
Week 1: Introduction
This session will give an introductory overview of Illinois REDCap, including its appropriate use cases, the regulations it can comply with, privacy and security measures, and an introductory tour of the interface.
Week 2: Building a REDCap project – form building
In this session, attendees will begin building a project in REDCap. We will explore how to add questions to a project, the ways a question can be modified, and how to build a project with multiple forms. We will also learn how to enable a form as a survey, when it is appropriate to do so, and explore the survey settings that are available.
Week 3: Building a REDCap project – project-level settings
This week, we will explore various project level settings, including longitudinal features and repeating instruments. We will look at the various ways REDCap can communicate with your participants or the research team through Automatic Survey Invitations and Alerts and Notifications. We will also discuss the importance of pilot testing your project and moving your project to production before collecting live data.
Week 4: Getting the most out of Illinois REDCap
In the final week, we will learn how to review data with REDCap’s reporting features and how to export data. We will also touch on advanced topics, including calculations, field embedding, and eConsent.